Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A QUICK CONTRAST OF LONERGAN'S ECONOMICS WITH KEYNES AND HAYEK  (Read 6147 times)

eileendn

A QUICK CONTRAST OF LONERGAN'S ECONOMICS WITH KEYNES AND HAYEK
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »
This quick contrast is based on the Hayek vs. Keynes debate in August 2012 at the LSE and broadcast  by BBC2. My note on the contrast is three pages and is attached. Many good wishes for Christmas joy to the Lonergan community. Eileen de Neeve

jraymaker

Re: A QUICK CONTRAST OF LONERGAN'S ECONOMICS WITH KEYNES AND HAYEK
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
This quick contrast is based on the Hayek vs. Keynes debate in August 2012 at the LSE and broadcast  by BBC2. My note on the contrast is three pages and is attached. Many good wishes for Christmas joy to the Lonergan community. Eileen de Neeve

Richard Moodey

Re: A QUICK CONTRAST OF LONERGAN'S ECONOMICS WITH KEYNES AND HAYEK
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:27:45 AM »
I apologize for waiting so long to reply. There were two reasons for my delay: ignorance and discouragement. My ignorance was of Lonergan's economics; my discouragement was from the feeling I had that my posts to the forum were functioning as conversation-killers. I had the impression, correct or incorrect, that other members of the forum no longer wanted to converse with me. I am again posting to the forum because conversations on the Lonergan_l list serve have brought up the prospect of creating a blog that would, it seems to me, duplicate what has been created here. So I have decided to participate again in what I regard as a well-constructed site, potentially a great setting for the kinds of conversations for which I hope.

I have, I believe, reduced my ignorance somewhat, and reading Eileen de Neeve's attachment has been a part of my learning about Lonergan's economics. Her explanation of the creative way in which Lonergan synthesized ideas of Hayak and Keynes seems to me to be right on target. Another part of my learning has come about through studying the ideas of Hayak and Keynes in connection with my work on Michael Polanyi's economics. I published this in Tradition and Discovery: The Polanyi Society Periodical. It is available at http://polanyisociety.org/TAD%20WEB%20ARCHIVE/TAD41-2/Moodey-TAD41-2-pg25-34fnl.pdf

Polanyi, like Lonergan, believed that economic reform depended upon better economic education, and struggled to make Keynes' thinking accessible to the general public. One of his efforts involved creating an animated movie as a teaching device, hence the title of the essay that was the focus of several critical essays in that issue of Tradition and Discovery, "The Visual Presentation of Social Matters." Through animation, Polanyi hoped to be able to present a model of the economic that was dynamic, rather than static, as is the case in non-animated pictures.

I am currently involved in reading volumes 21 and 15 of the Collected Works, and in reading some things others have written about Lonergan's economics. I expect to post some more of my reflections in this in this location.

Dick Moodey
“Think, live, be: next try to express scrupulously what you are thinking, what you are living, what you are.”
Henri de Lubac