Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lonergan's Discovery Page of Collaboration  (Read 3021 times)

Phil McShane

Lonergan's Discovery Page of Collaboration
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »
Greetings all,

Terry Quinn sent out yesterday (Monday April 14th) a general appeal about commemorating the 50th anniversary of Lonergan's greatest discovery, the structure of a global functional collaboration that would make seriously probable, in the long run, the emergence of an effective Cosmopolis. I attach that famous page here and, as a first response to Quinn's request, invite people to share reflections here on what this page means to them personally as a communal project that meets the desperate needs of our time.

My own views on that neglected project are well known.  But it is perhaps of interest to recall my experience of the emergence of that discovery and the page. I was in France, spring of 1965, when Fred Crowe wrote to me about the break-through. The next summer Lonergan went over the project with me in Toronto.  In 1969 I was able to sketch its significance for restructuring musicology and I presented the sketch at the International Lonergan conference in Florida, 1970.  In 1973, while cataloguing the archives in Toronto, I came across the page and drew attention to it and its context. Sadly, not much attention has been given to the page or its omnidisciplinary and global relevance in the past 50 years. Maybe Quinn has given the needed nudge?

Phil McShane