Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Working with others on self-appropriation  (Read 3053 times)

Joseph Martos

• The Sacraments
Working with others on self-appropriation
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:43:44 PM »
When I was a student in the 1960s, I benefited greatly from discussions with other students who had already gotten into Insight and who were willing to help me to keep focused on the forest, which was to work on self-appropriation, and not get lost among the trees, or all the details in the book. During my teaching career I never had the good fortune to work with students who were seriously interested in self-knowledge, but now that I am retired, I have time to do what others once did for me.

Getting back into Lonergan's work after being away from it for decades (although I have used what I learned about general empirical method in my teaching and writing), I am disappointed that there is very little mention in Lonergan circles about the centrality of rational self-appropriation. To me, this is where it has to begin, or talking about what Lonergan has written is little different from talking about what some poet has written. The goal (at least at the beginning) should be to find out what Lonergan is talking about, not to discuss what he says.

I am trying to find individuals who have already benefited from self-appropriation and who have the time and willingness to be mentors for serious readers of Insight as they work through the early chapters of the book and the sometimes daunting process of becoming familiar with their own cognitional activities in order to understand and affirm the relations between them -- not because of what Lonergan says but because they have experienced and understood what happens in their own minds. At the same time, I am looking for individuals who are willing to work on appropriating their own intelligence and rationality, even if it takes a good bit of time and effort.

I have already written to a number of people in the forum as of this date, but if I have not contacted you, please send me an email message or post your thoughts about this topic.

Joseph Martos
Louisville, Kentucky