Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lonergan and mystic experience  (Read 4107 times)

Thomas Farrell

Lonergan and mystic experience
« on: September 10, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
I am wondering if anything has been published about Lonergan and mystic experience as described in the book AWARENESS by Anthony de Mello, S.J. (1931-1987), the Jesuit retreat director and spiritual writer from India. In this book, Tony de Mello delineates a four-step program of reflection and understanding and insight that leads to healing.

In addition, I am wondering if anything has been published about Lonergan and mystic experience as described by Jiddu Krishnamurti (1895-1986) from India. In Krishnamurti's mature thought, he describes mystic experience as involving what Lonergan refers to as the empirical level of consciousness. But Krishnamurti sees mystic experience as an altogether different experience of consciousness than ordinary ego-consciousness.

I will appreciate any bibliographic references to publications about Lonergan and Tony de Mello, and/or about Lonergan and Jiddu Krishnamurti.

Cordially,

Tom

Thomas J. Farrell, Professor Emeritus
Department of Writing Studies
University of Minnesota Duluth
Homepage: www.d.umn.edu/~tfarrell
Email: tfarrell@d.umn.edu

mounce

Re: Lonergan and mystic experience
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 07:58:55 PM »
Eugene Webb has an article that you might enjoy.  He discusses Japan's southern and northern schools in contrast to their inverted counterparts in the West, but I can't remember if he mentions Lonergan in this article.  Voegelin's Gospel and Culture has a nice commentary on Lonergan and the theology of revelation.  In any case, I hope you post some of the results from your study!

“Luther and Zen: Cultural Implications of Doctrines of Sudden Deliverance,” in Michael A. Williams, ed., Charisma and Sacred Biography, Journal of the American Academy of Religion Thematic Studies, 48, 3 and 4 (1982): 69-86.

Catherine B. King

• Finding the Mind: . . .Verifying Cognitional Theory
Re: Lonergan and mystic experience
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:49:24 AM »
Hello Thomas: You also might want to look into Jerry Miller's work. 

Catherine